Sunday, June 3, 2007

Reading God's Word

I thought I would start my studies with reasons we should read God's word. In my youth, one of the verses I first memorized was Ps 119:11 "thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee."

In the New Testament Christ quoted scripture in response to Satan's temptation and Satan's scripture quoting.

My favorite is the first quote:
Matt 4:1-4
"1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
2
And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.
3
Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”'

Jesus quoted Deuteronomy 8:3 "So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD."

Christ uses the knowledge He gained reading the scripture to counter the mis-use of scripture by the Deceiver. How can we fight the sin and deception in our lives if we don't really know the words by heart or even read them ourselves.

Christ also gives credence to the scripture as a spiritual food here, even above the physical food for our bodies. As we would give good food to our children so must we feed our souls.

Most take for granted and get their "food" from only their pastor's or teachers, and take for granted what actually knowing and reading God's word can do for us.

Another passage I memorized as a Child was Ps 119: 105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"

Jesus said "I am the light of the world, he who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of light" John 8:12; "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world." John 9:5.

In both the Old and New Testament, the word of God and the words of Jesus are life and light giving sources. Our path will always be lit if we read the Word of God. By actually getting past our busy lives and wondering why we don't have the time for anything, if we make the time for God and His word and not just excuses, we may find we weren't looking for time for other things after all; We were looking for Him.

How can we truly come to be in love with our savior, if we don't read about His nature, His example, or His love letters to us.

Thanks,

Sealjoy

No comments: